It’s Back to School Time, and back to the organized chaos that ensues with managing the kids’ schedules. If you’re like us, by October you’re already wild eyed from packing school lunches, monitoring homework, running the kids to sporting events and activities, and still trying to come up with hearty meals. Most days our kids come home from school famished, and it’s been a challenge to come up with a variety of snacks that we feel are healthy and satisfying, yet pleasing all at the same time. We’re so thankful to the dietitian at our gym who provided us with this fantastic list of unique and delightful snacks that are super easy to prepare. With frantic schedules that consume our lives nearly every day, having fast, simple and appetizing options handy is a welcome relief!
Peanut Butter Balls
Information obtained from eatright.org
- Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for thirty seconds for a delicious smoothie
- Toast a whole-grain waffle and top with low-fat yogurt and peaches.
- Make snack kabobs. Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks.
- Microwave a small baked potato. Top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and salsa.
- Smear a scoop of frozen yogurt on two graham crackers and add sliced banana to make a sandwich.
- Spread celery sticks with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. Top with raisins.
- Peel a banana and dip it in yogurt. Roll in crushed cereal and freeze.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on hot popcorn.
- Fill a waffle cone with cut-up fruit and top with low-fat vanilla yogurt.
- Mix together peanut butter and cornflakes in a bowl. Shape into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers.
- Apple Pie Oatmeal: Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with low-fat milk. Mix in ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Mini pizza: Toast a whole-wheat English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Rocky Road: Break a graham cracker into bite-size pieces. Add to low-fat chocolate pudding along with a few miniature marshmallows.
- Inside-Out Sandwich: Spread mustard on a slice of deli turkey. Wrap around a sesame breadstick.
- Spread mustard on a flour tortilla. Top with a slice of turkey or ham, low-fat cheese and lettuce. Then roll it up.