It’s Back to School Time, and back to the organized chaos that ensues with managing the kids’ schedules. If you’re like us, by October you’re already wild eyed from packing school lunches, monitoring homework, running the kids to sporting events and activities, and still trying to come up with hearty meals. Most days our kids come home from school famished, and it’s been a challenge to come up with a variety of snacks that we feel are healthy and satisfying, yet pleasing all at the same time. We’re so thankful to the dietitian at our gym who provided us with this fantastic list of unique and delightful snacks that are super easy to prepare. With frantic schedules that consume our lives nearly every day, having fast, simple and appetizing options handy is a welcome relief!
Peanut Butter Balls
Information obtained from eatright.org
- Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana for thirty seconds for a delicious smoothie
- Toast a whole-grain waffle and top with low-fat yogurt and peaches.
- Make snack kabobs. Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks.
- Microwave a small baked potato. Top with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and salsa.
- Smear a scoop of frozen yogurt on two graham crackers and add sliced banana to make a sandwich.
- Spread celery sticks with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. Top with raisins.
- Peel a banana and dip it in yogurt. Roll in crushed cereal and freeze.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on hot popcorn.
- Fill a waffle cone with cut-up fruit and top with low-fat vanilla yogurt.
- Mix together peanut butter and cornflakes in a bowl. Shape into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers.
- Apple Pie Oatmeal: Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with low-fat milk. Mix in ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Mini pizza: Toast a whole-wheat English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese.
- Rocky Road: Break a graham cracker into bite-size pieces. Add to low-fat chocolate pudding along with a few miniature marshmallows.
- Inside-Out Sandwich: Spread mustard on a slice of deli turkey. Wrap around a sesame breadstick.
- Spread mustard on a flour tortilla. Top with a slice of turkey or ham, low-fat cheese and lettuce. Then roll it up.
Hey there, Lauren here! If you’ve been following 2Orchids tweets and blogs, y’all know that I am very fond of oil blotters. These tiny wisps of paper work like magic to keep makeup looking fresh throughout the day. My passion might just be bordering on obsession – I go nowhere without them. Guess how excited I am to have found Mai Couture who offer oil blotting papers, AND a full line of foundation powder papers, highlighting papers, and blush papers too! Imagine refreshing your makeup with just a hint of color in only seconds. And, guess what? No brushes required! They are the perfect size for business or vacation travel, and a must-have-in-your-purse-at-all-times for all you busy ladies on the go! Now go stock up!
Photo Credit: All photographs obtained from maicouture.com
Extend your wardrobe budget for miles and miles by investing in conservative neutrals, and accenting with killer color. These nifty Neutral Know-How inserts from the August issue of InStyle Magazine walk you through the 411, and will have you styling like a pro in minutes. When paired with the correct hues to create a zesty ensemble, basic neutrals like Flint, Ivory, and Latte take on new life, and go from forgettable to a head turning OMG! We were inspired to skim our closets (and makeup bags) to build fashionable new coordinated looks without spending a dime!
Flint: Pairing neon, primary and vivid colors takes conservative/shy gray to “hello sunshine!”
Ivory: Add old world glam and romance to creamy white with rich jewel tones.
Latte: Cool desert-like tones add a dash of dreamy to this buttery caramel.
1. We had no idea! 20 Things You Didn’t Know Your iphone Can Do. (lifebuzz.com)
2. The good, the bad, and the ugly about what’s really in the food your eating. (foodbabe.com)
3. Red Lacquered Nails to match the Shiny Red Bottoms of your Louboutin’s. Christian Louboutin Now Makes Nail Polish (intothegloss.com)
4. Bath Bombs you can now make at home with ingredients from your pantry. DIY Bath Bombs (idlewife.blogspot.ca)
5. Glam up your dinner party with these elegant Palace Trellis Glasses. (anthropologie.com)
6. Store, Display, and organize all your stuff in a fashionable way with Glamboxes, The Ultimate Organizers! (glamboxes.com)
7. Get the latest hair and makeup trends from Bazaar’s Beauty Experts all from the red carpet. (harpersbazaar.com)
8. Design and customize your own dress to your exact body with Numari made to fit dresses. (numari.com)